How to avoid incidents with Fishery Farms when navigating in Chinese water
There has been a large number of fishery farm incidents in the Shangdong and Fujian provinces in 2017 and further actions are to be taken to minimize the damages. To help owners further understand the current situation and minimize risks of breaking into fishery farms in these accident-prone areas, our correspondent in China has provided us with important information in the attached document below. A summary of recommendations for navigating in Lanshan and Ningde can be read below.
Recommendations for minimizing fish farm incidents for Lanshan (Shangdong province)
For ships calling or passing Lanshan port, the following recommendations are advised:
- In route planning, kindly take into account the fishery farms described in the attached document, with special attention and caution to area A.
- The vessels shall maintain a proper lookout, and keep in close contact with the VTS center and the pilot station.
- The Master shall in light of the available information, carefully observe the surrounding sea area, and pay particular attention to the boats ahead affecting the navigation, here might be fishery farms nearby the boats.
- Before the ship’s arrival at Lanshan port, kindly check with the local agent about the route to enter the anchorage and the port, as well as the distribution of the fishery farms.
Recommendations for minimizing fish farm incidents for Ningde (Fujian Province)
There are many fishery auxiliary boats and fishing boats crossing the channel so that the space for ship avoidance is very limited. To cope with the situation, the following recommendations are advised:
- Before arriving at the port, the ship shall be familiar with the situation of the channel and port via local agent or authorities, formulate a proper voyage plan and avoid anchoring in this area during the night.
- After the pilot is on board, the Master shall fully communicate with the pilot to understand the navigation method of the main channel and pay attention to controlling the ship speed.
- If the ship inevitably enters the aquaculture farm, she should immediately stop the engine and drop the double anchors to stop the ship, and call the local agent or authority to apply for assistance.
Member Alert is published by The Swedish Club as a service to members. While the information is believed correct, the Club cannot assume responsibility for completeness or accuracy.